Homemade chicken tikka masala
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tbsp Asda Tandoori Spice Curry Powder
- 4 tbsp Asda Low Fat Natural Yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 6 cardamon pods, lightly squashed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp freshly grated root ginger
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 200ml passata
- 200ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 200gm basmati rice
- Fresh coriander leaves
In a large non-metallic dish, mix the chicken with the tandoori powder, yogurt and lemon juice. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 3 hours.
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper and place the chicken on top, wiping off any excess marinade with a brush (reserve the marinade). Cook for 10 minutes or until brown.
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick, cook for 1 minute over a high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger and onion. Cook for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft.
Stir in the reserved marinade, passata and coconut milk. Bring to the boil. Add the chicken and stir in the garam masala, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the rice as instructed.
Sprinkle the chicken with coriander leaves and serve with the rice.