Hot and sour beef and noodle broth
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 x 227g Extra Special British Aberdeen Angus Sirloin Steak, fat trimmed
- 2tbsp Asda Red Thai Curry Paste
- 1.25L basic chicken broth (see recipe at ASDA.GL/broth)
- 2 dried kaffir lime leaves
- 1tsp brown sugar
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- 2tbsp Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce
- 1 star anise
- 200g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 100g fine French beans
- 300g pack udon noodles
- 225g tin bamboo shoots, drained
- 3tbsp shredded basil leaves, plus extra to serve
- 6 radishes, sliced
- Juice 1 lime, plus lime wedges to serve
Heat the rapeseed oil in a large frying pan on a high setting. Cook the steaks for 2-3 mins on each side. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and set aside for 10 mins to rest.
Add the red curry paste to a large pan and stir-fry for 1 min. Add the broth, kaffir lime leaves, brown sugar, fish sauce, pepper sauce and star anise, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 mins to let the flavours infuse.
Add the butternut squash, French beans, udon noodles and bamboo shoots to the pan. Bring back to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 4 mins until the vegetables and noodles are just cooked through. Stir through the shredded basil, radishes and lime juice.
Meanwhile, slice the steaks into thin strips.
Ladle the soup into 6 bowls and top with the slices of steak. Garnish with more shredded basil and serve immediately with the lime wedges.