Imogen’s chicken curry
Be the first to rate this recipe
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 3cm piece ginger, grated
- 1tsp black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1tbsp mild chilli powder, plus extra to serve
- ¼tbsp madras curry powder
- 1tbsp turmeric
- ¼tbsp ground coriander
- ¾tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 chicken breast fillets, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 mixed peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1tsp fenugreek seeds
- 180g mild baby spinach
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
- FOR THE SALSA
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Juice ½ lemon
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ x 20g pack fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- TO SERVE
- 200g basmati rice, cooked according to pack instructions
- Lemon wedges, to squeeze over (optional)
- 4tbsp plain natural yogurt (optional)
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium setting. Add the onions and fry for 10 mins.
Add the garlic and ginger; fry for 2 mins. Add the peppercorns, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick. Fry for 2 mins. Add the chilli and curry powders, turmeric, ground coriander and cumin.
Add the tomatoes and 250ml water to the pan; cover and cook for 10 mins.
Add the chicken and peppers, stir together, cover and cook for 20 mins.
Mix together all the ingredients for the salsa.
When the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through, remove the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and peppercorns. Stir through the fenugreek, spinach and chilli (if using); cook until the spinach wilts.
Divide the rice and curry between 4 plates. Serve with the salsa, lemon wedges and the yogurt sprinkled with a pinch of chilli powder.