James Martin’s spatchcock chicken with Caesar salad
- Ready in: 70 mins
- Serves: 4-6
- Price: £1.66 for 6 and £2.50 for 4 per serving
- 1 x 2kg chicken Extra special corn fed chicken OR Butchers Selection Medium Chicken
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp coarse grain French mustard
- 4 sprigs thyme finely chopped
- 75ml white wine
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 thick slices country bread, cut into 2cm cubes
- 120ml rapeseed oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ tsp Worcester sauce
- 100g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 head romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Place the chicken, breast side down, on a chopping board. Using good scissors, cut through the flesh and bone along both sides of the backbone about 5cm/2 " wide. Cut from the tail end to the head end and completely remove the backbone.
Place the chicken flesh side up onto a roasting tray and press as flat as possible. Use a sharp knife to score the skin and flesh. Place the maple syrup, lemon juice, mustard and thyme leaves into a bowl and mix together. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper then slather the mixture over the skin of the chicken, rubbing in well.
Place in the oven and roast for 45 minutes until crispy and golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
For the Caesar salad: Add the wine and garlic to a small pan and cook until the wine has reduced fully and garlic softened
Toss the bread in 2tbsp oil and rosemary and cook in a pan until golden and crispy.
Blend the garlic with the white wine vinegar, mustard, egg yolks, Worchester sauce in a food processor until smooth. Then add the remaining oil to make the dressing.
Wash and slice the lettuce, add into a serving bowl, top with the croutons and parmesan and drizzle over the dressing. Serve with the chicken.