Jerk sweet potato & bean curry
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1cm piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 level tsp dried, crushed chillies
- 1 tbsp thyme, leaves only, plus extra to garnish
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp HP Sauce
- 1/2 level tsp mixed spice
- 1 level tsp allspice
- 390g carton Chosen by you Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 level tbsp brown sugar
- 500g sweet potato (peeled weight), cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 x 300g cans black-eye beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp dark rum (optional)
- Rice with peas, to serve
Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan and cook the ginger, garlic, red pepper and spring onions over a low heat for 2 minutes.
Add the dried, crushed chillies, thyme, lime juice, soy sauce, HP Sauce and spices. Stir over a low heat for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and 150ml water. Heat until simmering, then add the sugar and stir until fully dissolved. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the potato and heat until simmering. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the beans and rum (if using). Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Garnish with thyme leaves and serve with the cooked rice and peas.