Jimmy Doherty’s Leftover Sausage Pie
- 400g Extra Special Light & Lean Pork Sausages, cooked
- 450g leftover cooked veg (we used cabbage and leeks)
- 1tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1tsp cornflour
- 200ml stock made with 1 reduced-salt chicken stock cube
- 1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 320g sheet ready-rolled light puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with 1tsp water
- 300g frozen peas
Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
Chop the sausages and leftover veg into equal-sized pieces.
Heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the onion until golden. Add the cornflour and stir well. Slowly add the stock and mustard, bring to the boil, then gently simmer for 5-8 mins to thicken. Add the milk, sausages and veg, season with black pepper and mix well.
Tip the mixture into a large pie dish. Wet the lip of the dish with water, lay the pastry on top and crimp the edges. Cut off any excess and score the top.
Brush the beaten egg over the pastry. Bake for 35-40 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden.
Cook the peas according to the pack instructions. Serve with the pie.