Kale and bacon pearl barley ‘risotto’
Be the first to rate this recipe
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, thinly sliced
- 200g Asda Pearl Barley, rinsed
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 reduced-salt chicken stock cubes, made up to 800ml with boiling water
- 100g sliced curly kale, washed, with woody stems removed
- 2tbsp reduced-fat crème fraîche
- Parmesan, shaved
Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion over a medium setting, for 6 mins or until softened.
Add garlic and bacon and cook for 3-5 mins until the bacon is starting to colour and turn crispy.
Stir in the pearl barley, thyme and add the chicken stock to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the kale and cook for 10-15 mins, topping up with hot water if needed.
When the pearl barley is tender, stir in the crème fraîche and season with freshly ground black pepper.
Take the pan off the heat, remove the thyme, divide between 4 bowls and scatter over shaved Parmesan, to serve.