Kale and bacon pearl barley risotto
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 rashers bacon, thinly sliced
- 200g Good & Balanced Pearl Barley, rinsed
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 reduced-salt chicken stock cubes, made up to 800ml with boiling water.
- 100g sliced curly kale, washed and woody stems removed.
- 2tbsp reduced-fat crème fraîche
- 20g Parmesan, shaved
Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion on a medium setting for 6 mins until softened.
Add the garlic and bacon. Cook for 3-5 mins until the bacon is starting to colour.
Stir in the pearl barley and thyme. Add the stock to the pan, bring to a simmer and cook for 30 min, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the kale. Cook for 10-15 mins, topping up with hot water if needed.
When the pearl barley is tender, stir in the crème fraîche and season with black pepper.
Take the pan off the heat, remove the thyme sprigs and scatter over the Parmesan before serving.