Katie Piper’s Shepherd’s Pie
- 2tsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 500g lean beef or lamb mince
- 1tsp Marmite
- 200ml hot stock made with 1 reduced-salt beef stock cube
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp tomato purée
- ¼tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 800g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 25g unsalted butter
- 4tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 40g Asda 30% Less Fat Mature Grated British Cheese
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onions and carrots for 10 mins. Add the garlic and the mince and cook until browned. Drain off any fat.
Stir the Marmite into the stock. Add to the mince mixture with the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Season with black pepper and simmer for 25 mins.
Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 20 mins, or until tender. Drain well.
Mash the potatoes mixing in the butter, milk and some black pepper.
Transfer the mince mixture to an ovenproof dish and top with the mash, then the cheese. Cook in the oven for 30 mins until the cheese is golden brown. Sprinkle with pepper to serve.