Lightly spiced pumpkin soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1cm piece root ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 500g pumpkin (or butternut squash), flesh only, cubed
- 1 baking potato, sliced
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 1 level tsp paprika
- 500-600ml vegetable stock
- 100ml double cream
- Dried pumpkin seeds, to serve
Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion until soft. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the pumpkin, potato, spices and stock, and heat until simmering. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Cool for 20 minutes, then purée the soup in a blender.
Stir in two-thirds of the cream and extra stock if needed. Reheat and pour into bowls. Season and serve with a drizzle of cream and pumpkin seeds.