Malaysian beef rendang
- 20g coriander seeds (crushed)
- 1½tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 2 red chillies (chopped)
- 1tbsp Extra Special Cold-Pressed Rapeseed Oil
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 700g Butcher’s Selection Diced Beef
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 2 Asda Star Anise
- 6 Asda Cardamom Pods (crushed and seeds removed)
- 2 x 200g pouch Coconut Milk (Reduced Fat)
- 250ml Extra Special Roast Beef Stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk Grower’s Selection Lemongrass
- 150g Chosen by you Easy Cook Basmati & Wild Rice, cooked according to the instructions on the packet
- To Serve
- 2tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Lime wedges
Whizz the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, ginger, chilli and 2tbsp water in a blender until it is a smooth paste. (Or use a pestle and mortar).
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and cook for 5 mins.
Add the beef and the spice paste. Increase the heat and stir the beef until it is browned well and completely coated with the spice paste – this will take a few minutes.
Add the turmeric, star anise and cardamom seeds, then the coconut milk, stock and bay leaf. Add the lemongrass, turn the heat up to high and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook the curry, stirring occasionally, until the sauce becomes thick and coats the meat – at least 1 hr-1 hr 30 mins.
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with the cooked rice, naan and lime wedges.