Meat-free courgette and lentil loaf
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 medium courgettes
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1tsp dried Italian mixed herbs
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 x 390g tins green lentils in water, drained and rinsed
- 25g flat-leaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 2tbsp toasted flaked almonds
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Grease a 1L loaf tin and line with baking paper.
Halve 1 of the courgettes lengthways, then cut 2 long strips 3mm thick and lay along the base of the loaf tin. Finely chop the remaining courgette.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium setting. Add the chopped courgettes, onion and carrots, then cook for 10 mins or until softened but not starting to colour. Add the garlic, mixed herbs, tomato purée and balsamic; cook for 2 mins.
Pulse the lentils to a thick paste in a food processor; transfer to a large bowl. Add the veg mixture, the parsley, breadcrumbs and egg, then mix together. Season well with freshly ground black pepper then tip into the loaf tin, flattening and levelling the top with the back of a large spoon.
Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 40-50 mins until golden brown. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out and peel off the paper. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and extra chopped parsley to serve