Meatballs in tomato & red pepper sauce
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pointed sweet red pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 500g carton Asda Passata
- 1 Antony Worrall Thompson Gluten Free Beef Stock Cube
- 1 level tsp sugar
- 4-5 basil leaves, torn
- 1 Asda Gluten Free White Bread Roll
- 100g Asda Extra Lean Unsmoked Back Bacon
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 500g pack Asda Lean Beef Steak Mince
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 350g Asda Gluten Free Spaghetti (or Fusilli)
Cook the onion in 1 tbsp of the oil for 3 minutes. Add the pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add the passata, stock cube, sugar, two-thirds of the basil (reserve the rest) and 200ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Blitz with a hand blender or in a processor and return to the pan.
Whizz the bread roll and bacon in a processor or with a hand blender. Add the parsley and whizz for a few seconds. Put in a bowl with the mince and egg. Season well and mix together with your hands. Shape into 16 meatballs.
Heat the rest of the oil and cook the meatballs in two batches until browned on all sides. Add to the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
Cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Drain. Serve with the meatballs and reserved basil leaves.