Miguel Barclay’s sweet potato katsu curry
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 4 x 1cm slices
- 50g Smart Price long grain rice
- 1tsp TRS Mild Madras Curry Powder
- 5tsp golden syrup
- 1tsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 spring onion, sliced lengthways
- STORE CUPBOARD
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 100g Smart Price self raising flour
- 1tsp Smart Price plain flour
Put the vegetable oil in a deep-fat fryer and preheat to 170C.
In a bowl, whisk the self-raising flour with 150ml water. Dip the sweet potato slices in the batter, then fry in the oil for 10 mins or until golden, crisp and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
Meanwhile, put the rice and 150ml water in a pan, bring to a simmer and cook over a medium heat for 10-12 mins until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Remove from the heat and fluff up the rice with a fork.
For the curry sauce, put a frying pan over a medium heat and add the curry powder, syrup and plain flour. Mix to a paste, then stir in 100 200ml water, a little at a time, until you have the consistency you like. Stir in the soy sauce.
Serve the fritters with the curry sauce and rice, topped with the spring onion.