Miguel Barclay’s roast chickpea gyro
- 200g chickpeas (from a 400g tin), draineD
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 40g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 2tbsp crème fraîche (or vegan cream or vegan yogurt, if preferred)
- Pinch dried oregano
- A few lettuce leaves
- A few cherry tomatoes, chopped
- A few thin slices red onion
- STORE CUPBOARD
- Olive oil
Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
Put the chickpeas in an ovenproof dish with a glug of olive oil, the cumin, paprika and a pinch of black pepper. Roast for 20 mins or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, mix the flour with 25ml cold water to form a dough. Knead on a flour-dusted surface for 1 min, then roll out into a 20cm-diameter circle.
Heat a griddle pan on a high setting. Cook the dough for 1 min each side until nicely toasted.
For the sauce, mix the crème fraîche or alternative with the oregano and a pinch of black pepper.
Pile the lettuce, onion, sauce, chickpeas and tomatoes on the flatbread. Fold in half to serve.