Mock-a-leekie pearl barley risotto
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 50g butter
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 100g Savoy cabbage or kale, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300g pearl barley
- 50ml white wine (optional)
- 1L vegetable stock made with 1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves only, plus extra to garnish
- 150g frozen peas
- 25g Asda 50% Less Fat Mature British Cheese, grated
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- 1tbsp oatmeal, toasted (optional)
Heat the oil and butter in a large pan. Add the carrot, celery, leeks and cabbage or kale. Cover and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 mins.
Stir in the barley and the wine, if using, and allow to simmer until absorbed.
Add the stock and thyme leaves. Simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed. Add a little extra water if needed. Add the peas in the last 5 mins.
Garnish with the cheese, parsley, oatmeal, if using, thyme and black pepper.