- 1 onion, chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube made up to 700ml water.
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin tomatoes, broken up if whole
- 400g tin mixed beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- 150g dried macaroni
- 3 leaves Savoy cabbage (optional)
- 25g grated Parmesan or other cheese, such as Cheddar
- Basil leaves, to garnish (optional)
Fry the onion in 2tbsp olive oil.
Add the carrot and cook for 5 mins, adding the garlic for the last 1 min.
Add stock to the pan with the tomato purée, tinned tomatoes and mixed beans. Stir to combine.
Add the mixed herbs, macaroni, plus Savoy cabbage leaves (optional). Simmer, covered, for 25 mins, stirring occasionally, adding a splash of water if needed.
To serve, sprinkle with the Parmesan or other cheese, such as Cheddar, garnish with basil leaves (optional) and season with black pepper.