Pea and ham cream cheese risotto
- 2tsp olive oil
- 200g Asda Extra Special oak smoked dry cured gammon steak cut into short, thin strips
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely crushed
- 300g Arborio rice
- 18.7cl mini bottle white wine
- 2tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 200g frozen peas
- 150g Asda light 50% less fat soft cheese
Heat 1tsp oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the gammon and stir-fry for 5 minutes until starting to brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the remaining oil, onion and garlic to the pan, cover and cook gently for 5 mins until softened, stirring occasionally.
Add the rice to the pan and cook for 1 min stirring continuously.
Add the wine and cook for a further 1 min stirring. Add the thyme.
Add the stock, a ladleful at a time, and cook, stirring often until the stock has been absorbed. Keep adding stock and stirring, it will take around 20mins to add all the stock.
With 5 mins to go, stir in the peas and the gammon. The risotto is ready when the rice is tender and creamy and the peas cooked. Stir in the soft cheese and season to taste.