Plaice with herby mushroom stuffing
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 15g butter
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme (leaves only)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh curly parsley
- 3 x 250g packs plaice fillets (or 6 x 125-150g plaice fillets)
- Roasted new potatoes, to serve
- Salad, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C/Gas 4. Grease a shallow ovenproof dish with a little oil.
Fry the shallots in the oil and butter until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook until they shrink and the juices start to run out. Continue to cook, stirring often, until all the juices have evaporated.
Tip into a bowl. Add the herbs and season well. Cool.
If you want to skin the fish, place a fillet on a board, skin side down, with the tail end towards you. Hold the tail end with one hand and with a fillet knife in the other hand (or sharp knife if you don't have one). Insert the knife at a slight angle and carefully cut between the skin and flesh.
Divide the stuffing into 6 portions. Put a portion on the skinned (or skin side) of each fillet and fold over twice. Put in the dish and brush with oil.
Cook in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily. Serve with the potatoes, salad and lemon wedges.