Plant-based ‘meatball’ and courgette lasagne
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 200g roasted red peppers (from a jar), chopped
- 400g pack frozen Plant Based Meat-Free Meatballs
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 25g pack basil, chopped, reserving a few leaves to serve
- 80g unsalted butter
- 80g plain flour
- 800ml semi-skimmed milk
- 250g fresh egg lasagne sheets
- 3 medium courgettes, thinly sliced lengthways
- 30g Asda Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 2tbsp pine nuts
- 2tbsp Free From Green Pesto
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Fry the onions and celery in the oil in a large pan for 10 mins. Add the garlic; cook for 2 mins.
Add the peppers, meatballs and tomatoes, then simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir through the vinegar and basil.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pan, add the flour and cook for 2 mins to get a smooth paste. Gradually whisk in the milk, then simmer for 2 mins or until thick.
Spoon ½ the meatball sauce into a 3L ovenproof dish. Add a layer of lasagne sheets, then courgette strips. Spoon over ½ the white sauce. Repeat the layers, finishing with the white sauce. Top with a few courgette strips; sprinkle over the cheese.
Bake for 45 mins. Scatter over the pine nuts for the last5mins. Drizzle with pesto; sprinkle with pepper and the reserved basil.