- 450g bramley cooking apples (weighed when peeled and cored)
- 450g red onions, chopped
- 1kg stoned plums, halved
- 450g sultanas
- 175g brown sugar
- 1 level tbsp, grated root ginger
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 rounded tsp ground allspice
- Quarter level tsp ground cloves
- Half tsp dry mustard powder
- Quarter level tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 500ml red wine vinegar
Cut the apples into 5mm pieces. Put everything in a very large pan and simmer for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring often, until pulpy and thickened.
Put in sterilized jars and seal. This will keep for up to 6 months in the cupboard, and store in the fridge once opened.