Really simple chicken biryani
- 250g basmati rice
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 peppers (red and yellow), de-seeded and cut into small pieces
- 1-2 level tbsp Asda Medium Curry Powder
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 50g raisins
- 350g leftover roast chicken, skinless and boneless, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 150g frozen peas
- 25g flaked almonds (optional)
- Mango chutney, to serve
Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the rice, stock cube, raisins and 1 litre water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the chicken and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the peas, cover the pan and leave for 4-5 minutes.
If using, put the flaked almonds in a dry frying pan and toss over a medium heat until lightly toasted.
Drain any excess liquid from the rice mixture, sprinkle with the toasted almonds and serve with mango chutney.