When it comes to making mouth-watering BBQ dishes, Red's True BBQ know what's what. Inspired by the authentic American taste, they've provided us with a lip-smacking recipe of their very own for you to try at home.With a bit of patience, soaking your chicken for a few hours in brine and adding two hits of Red’s flavour layers can transform your grilled chicken into a dish worthy of salty, sweet, smoky and spicy reverence!
Makes: 4 servings
Total Time: 5 hours
8 pc chicken legs and thighs (trimmed)
2 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 packet Red’s Chicken Rub
For the brine:
2 litres warm water
300g sea salt
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1. First, make your brine. Use a deep bowl or container large enough to hold the brine while submerging the chicken pieces. Add all of the ingredients (water, sea salt, brown sugar, garlic, whole cloves and dried bay leaves) to the bowl and stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
2. Place the chicken pieces in the brine and submerge with a heavy plate. Allow brining for approx. 4 hours in the fridge.
3. Preheat barbecue to on medium setting (200°C/395°F)
4. Once brined, discard the liquid and rinse the chicken pieces in fresh water, being careful not to splash. Pat them dry with kitchen roll.
5. Lightly oil the chicken pieces and massage the Red’s Chicken Rub over all the meat, reserving a teaspoon of the rub for later.
6. Transfer the chicken pieces to the barbecue and cook for 15 minutes (turning regularly to avoid burning) over the medium heat until the juices run clear once probed with a toothpick, or the internal temperature of the meat near the bone hits 75°C/167°F.
7. Once cooked, brush on some sauce over the chicken and finish over the grill. We recommend Red’s Devil Wing Sauce for an extra spicy, sticky finish, or if you prefer something more mild, then try Kansas City BBQ Sauce.
8. Sprinkle the remaining Red’s Chicken Rub over the chicken pieces. Place them onto a platter with a sweet potato loaded spinach salad and baked potato for the perfect finish (optional).
Looking for more great BBQ ideas? Red's True BBQ gives the lowdown on how to recreate the perfect American BBQ at home with these easy-to-follow tips.