Reduced-sugar carrot cake
- 250g carrots, grated
- 150g sultanas (or raisins)
- 1 orange, zest of
- 125ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 275g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 1 level tsp mixed spice
- 6 level tbsp Silver Spoon Truvia sweetener, (plus 2 level tsp for the topping)
- 75g pecans (or walnuts),roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 200g reduced-fat mascarpone, for the topping
Put the carrots, sultanas, orange zest and juice in a bowl. Mix, then leave to soak for 30 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line a 19-20cm square baking tray with baking paper.
Sift the flour, baking powder and spice into another bowl. Stir in the sweetener and nuts.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and oil. Add to the flour mixture along with the carrot mixture. Stir well.
Turn into the tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Mix the remaining 2 tsp sweetener into the mascarpone. When the sponge is completely cooled, spread an even layer over the top.