Rhubarb crumble flan
- 400g rhubarb (trimmed weight), cut into 2cm pieces
- 75g caster sugar
- 300g ready-to-roll shortcrust pastry
- 100g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 100g demerara sugar
- 75g almonds, roughly chopped
- 50g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp apricot jam (or shredless orange marmalade)
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Put the rhubarb in a single layer in a shallow greased dish and sprinkle on the caster sugar. Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, turn the pieces over and cook, uncovered, for another 10 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
Meanwhile, roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23cm flan tin. Prick the base. Lay a piece of foil inside and weight it down with baking beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the foil and beans or rice and bake for another 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
Sift the flour and cinnamon into a bowl. Add the butter and rub in. stir in the demerara sugar and both types of almonds.
Spread the jam or marmalade in the base of the flan case. Drain the juice off the rhubarb and put the rhubarb in the flan case. Sprinkle the crumble on top.
Bake for another 20 minutes. Serve with warm cream or custard.