Roast chicken with pork stuffing
- 15g butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 Asda Extra Special Pork and Leek Sausages, skins removed
- 25g pack fresh thyme
- 25g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Asda Large Chicken (2.2kg)
- 750g King Edward potatoes (or Maris Piper potatoes), peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Asda Extra Special Chicken Gravy, to serve
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Melt the butter in a pan and cook the shallot over a low heat until soft. Transfer to a bowl and cool. Add the sausage meat. Remove the leaves from 1 sprig of thyme, chop and add to the bowl. Add the breadcrumbs and parsley. Season well.
Put the whole chicken on a board and push the stuffing into the cavity. Cut the potatoes into large, even-sized chunks and arrange in a large roasting tin. Put a rack on top. Sit the chicken on the rack, rub the skin with olive oil and season. Cook for 2 hours 15 minutes basting occassionally. Halfway through cooking, turn the potatoes over and move them around in the tin.
Transfer the bird to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest in a warm place for 15 minutes before carving.
Increase the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7 and return the potatoes to the oven, this time without the rack, for 5 - 10 minutes or until crisp.
Carve the chicken. Heat the gravy and serve with the chicken, roast potatoes (sprinkled with thyme) and peas.