Roast lamb with herby stuffing
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 25g butter
- 1 small shallot (or 2 large shallots), finely chopped
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 unwaxed lemon, finely grated zest of
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 whole large leg of lamb, bone in (about 2.2kg)
- Gravy, to serve
- Mint,to serve
- Roast potatoes, to serve
Pre-heat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5. In a pan, cook the shallot in the oil and butter until soft, but not coloured. Tip into a bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, zest and herbs to make a crumbly stuffing. Season.
Grease the base of a large roasting tin. Put the lamb in the tin. Using a sharp knife, make cuts in the lamb, about 1.5cm apart, all the way to the bone.
Use a teaspoon to put the stuffing in the cuts. Tie string around the joint in two places to stop the slices from opening. Cover the tin loosely with foil and roast for 1 hour 30 minutes, basting occasionally. Remove the foil and cook for another 30 minutes.