Roasted vegetable couscous
Be the first to rate this recipe
- 1 aubergine, topped, tailed and cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 2 courgettes, halved lengthways and cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 3 tbsp mild olive oil
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 level tsp dried oregano
- 200g couscous
- 1/2 small unwaxed lemon, finely grated zest of
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 50g pistachio nuts, shelled weight
- 100g Wensleydale cheese (or Lancashire cheese), crumbled
Pre-heat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Place the aubergine and courgettes in a bowl with 2 tbsp of the oil, then toss so that all the pieces are coated. Spread out in a large roasting tin along with the peppers, skin-side up. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
While the vegetables are cooking, heat the rest of the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion until soft. Remove from the heat, add the oregano, couscous and lemon zest, then give it a stir.
Pour in 250ml boiling water and heat gently until simmering. Cover with a lid and remove from the heat. Set aside for 5 minutes.
When the vegetables are cooked, skin the peppers and cut into bite-sized pieces.
Fluff up the couscous with a fork, then add the roasted vegetables. Re-heat gently in a pan for 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the flat-leaf parsley and pistachios. Put in large bowls and sprinkle over some crumbled cheese, to serve.