Root vegetable and pea pilaf
- 2tsp rapeseed oil
- 3 whole cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced lengthways
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ turnip, peeled and chopped
- 200g Asda White Basmati Rice
- 100g frozen peas
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 red chilli, chopped, to serve
- A few whole mint leaves, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the cardamom pods and cinnamon then fry for 1 min until they release their aroma.
Add the turmeric, onion, parsnips, carrots and turnip to the pan. Stir together to combine and fry for 5 mins until they turn golden and start to soften. Season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Put the rice in a sieve and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
Add the rice, peas and lemon zest to the pan with 350ml boiling water. Cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 30 45 mins until the rice is cooked and the veg is tender.
To serve, remove the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick from the pilaf and sprinkle with the finely chopped chilli and the mint leaves.