Sausage stuffed onions
- 8 onions, peeled, tops and bases sliced off
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 pork sausages, meat removed from skins
- Few stalks thyme, leaves only, plus sprigs to garnish
- Zest 1 lemon
- 3tbsp breadcrumbs
- 25g flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 25g Parmesan, finely grated
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Put the onions in a roasting tin and drizzle over 1tbsp of the olive oil. Roast for 15 mins until softened.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan, add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Add the sausage meat and thyme leaves, and season with black pepper. Cook, stirring, for 10 mins or until the sausage meat is no longer pink. Stir in the lemon zest.
Remove the onions from the oven, leave to cool a little, then carefully remove the inner section from each one. Roughly chop this onion and stir into the cooked sausage meat. Use this mixture to fill each onion, then scatter the breadcrumbs over the top.
Put back in the oven and cook for 20-30 mins until golden. Sprinkle the onions with the chopped flat-leaf parsley, grated Parmesan and sprigs of thyme to serve.