- 100ml olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 300g plain flour
- 1 level tbsp baking powder
- 15g caster sugar
- 2 level tsp dried oregano (or mixed herbs)
- 175g Extra Mature Cheddar grated
- 75g sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into pieces
- 50g pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 175ml semi-skimmed milk
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease two 6-hole muffin trays or line with paper muffin cases. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and cook the shallot and bacon, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until cooked. Tip into a bowl and set aside.
Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Season with pepper and stir in the sugar, oregano or mixed herbs and most of the Cheddar.
Add the tomatoes, olives, bacon and shallots.
Lightly beat the eggs, milk and remaining oil and add to the bowl. Stir until just evenly mixed.
Transfer to the muffin cases. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and bake for about 25 minutes.