Slow cooked whole chicken with bacon gravy
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1.35kg Butcher’s Selection British Medium Chicken
- 8 shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, bashed
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1tbsp chopped sage
- 1 reduced-salt stock cube made up to 200ml with boiling water
- 100ml white wine or water
- 3tbsp Extra Special ChickenGravyGranules
- Mash and steamed spring greens, to serve
Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan on medium. Carefully fry the whole chicken on all sides until golden, then transfer to the slow cooker.
In the same pan, fry the shallots for 4 mins. Add the bacon and garlic and fry for 2 mins until starting to colour.
Transfer to the slow cooker with the herbs, stock and wine or water. Cover and cook on low for 5 hrs, or until the chicken is cooked through and the meat comes away from the bone easily.
Remove the chicken and keep warm. Remove the thyme from the slow cooker and stir in the gravy granules.
Carve the chicken, divide between 4 plates and spoon over the bacon gravy. Add the mash and greens on the side and top with black pepper to serve.