Slow-cooker gammon with parsnip and potato rösti
- 1.4kg Butcher’s Selection Unsmoked Gammon Joint, casing removed
- 1 red onion – ½ roughly chopped, ½ thinly sliced
- 1tbsp frozen Scratch Cook Chopped Garlic
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 300g parsnips, peeled
- 500g white baking potatoes, peeled
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 120g bag Asda Beetroot, Baby Spinach & Baby Kale Salad
- 150ml Asda 50% Less Fat Fresh Soured Cream
Start cooking the gammon about 8 hrs before you want to serve. Put it in a slow cooker with 600ml water, the chopped onion, garlic and 3 sprigs of the thyme. Cover, set to low and leave for 8 hrs, turning after 4 hrs if possible.
After 8 hrs, carefully lift out the gammon and set aside until cool enough to handle. Shred the meat using 2 forks. Return 300g of the gammon to the slow cooker to keep warm in the cooking liquid. Reserve the rest for other meals.
Grate the parsnips and potatoes into a clean tea towel and squeeze out the excess liquid. Tip into a bowl with the sliced red onion and leaves from 1 sprig thyme; season with black pepper.
Working in batches, heat some of the oil in a nonstick frying pan and add a few small mounds of the potato mixture. Press down with a spatula and cook for 3-4 mins on each side until crisp and golden. Set aside on kitchen roll while you cook the rest.
Remove the gammon from the cooker and serve with the rösti, salad and soured cream, garnished with the remaining thyme.