Slow roast pork shoulder
- 1.5kg Asda Butchers Selection Pork Shoulder Joint
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2-4 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 carrots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 1 large red pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 and a 1/2 level tbsp flour
- 250ml stock
- 250ml cider
Pre-heat the oven to 150C/130C Fan/Gas 2. Put the pork in a roasting tin.
Cover the tin with foil and roast for 4 hours 30 minutes. When the cooking time is almost up, parboil the potatoes and parsnips for 5 minutes. Drain. Increase the oven temperature to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Uncover the pork and drain off most of the fat. Drizzle the honey over the skin. Put the potatoes, parsnips, onion, carrots and pepper around the pork, turning over to coat in fat. Return to the oven, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked and the crackling crisp.
Put on a serving plate and keep warm.
Drain off most of the fat from the tin. Stir in the flour and whisk in the stock, making sure you scrape up any meat pieces that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the cider. Heat until simmering, whisking constantly. Simmer for 2 minutes and serve with the pork and vegetables.