Xiao long bao
- For the 'soup':
- 150ml fresh chicken stock
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 sheet leaf gelatine, soaked in cold water
- For the dough:
- 150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- For the filling:
- 250g Butcher’s Selection Pork Mince
- 1tbsp rice wine
- ¼tsp ground white pepper
- ½tsp sugar
- 2tsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- For the dipping sauce:
- 2tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2cm piece ginger, shredded
- To steam:
- Cabbage leaves (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, 1 red chilli and shredded ginger, to garnish
- You’ll also need a steamer (use a bamboo one if you have one)
In a pan, bring the stock to the boil. Add the onion, simmer until reduced by half; remove from heat. Remove the leaf gelatine from the water, add to the pan and stir until dissolved. Transfer to a bowl, cool then refrigerate until set.
For the dough, put the flour in a bowl and add 80ml warm water while stirring with a fork. Tip onto a clean surface and knead for 7-8 mins or until smooth. If sticky, dust with flour. Wrap in clingfilm and set aside for 20 mins.
When the stock has set, use a spoon to chop into small pieces.
For the filling, mix together the pork, rice wine, pepper, sugar, soy sauce and ginger. Add the chopped stock and stir until well combined.
For the dipping sauce, stir the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and ginger in a small bowl and set aside.
Line the steamer with a few overlapping cabbage leaves or 3 layers of baking paper that has been punched with holes.
Dust a clean surface with flour and roll the dough into a long cylinder. Cut into 16 equal pieces and shape into balls. Roll each ball into a circle 12-13cm in diameter with a rolling pin. Put under damp kitchen paper.
To assemble the dumplings, put a spoonful of filling in the centre of each circle, brush the edges with water and bring into the centre, pleating and squeezing as you go. Transfer to a tray lined with baking paper, and cover with damp kitchen paper while making the others.
Put the dumplings in the steamer; garnish with a garlic clove, chilli and ginger. Set over boiling water, cover and steam for 10 mins, then serve with the dipping sauce on the side.