Spiced chicken rice platter
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 1 medium-large whole chicken (skin on), chopped into 6-8 pieces, or 1.1kg chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1 whole head garlic, cloves crushed
- 1 lime, halved
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves, halved
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp black pepper
- 350g basmati rice, rinsed
- 25g fresh coriander, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- 25g flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
Heat the oil in a large pan over a high heat. In batches, add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook until browned. Remove the chicken using a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onions to the pan and cook for 5 mins until softened. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, garlic, lime halves, lime leaves, fresh ginger and all of the dried spices. Cook for 5 mins, stirring.
Return the chicken to the pan, top up with 700ml boiling water, cover and cook for 30-40 mins, until the chicken is cooked through.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken. Set aside and keep warm.
Add the rice to the pan, topping up with water if needed so it covers the rice by about 2cm. Stir through the chopped coriander and parsley and cook over a low heat for 20 mins.
When all of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked, tip out onto a serving platter, top with the chicken and scatter over the pine nuts and extra coriander