Spiced root vegetable soup
- 250g carrots
- 500g butternut squash, flesh only
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 level tsp ground cumin
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 level tsp ground coriander
- 800ml vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 2 level tbsp tomato purée
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- Coriander leaves, chopped, to serve
Pre-heat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas. Cut the carrots, squash and sweet potato into even chunks. Put in a bowl with the onion and 1 tbsp of the oil. Toss to coat.
Spread out in a roasting tin and roast for 40-45 minutes, until tender with brown edges.
Heat the rest of the oil in a saucepan, add the spices and stir over a low heat for 1-2 minutes. Add 200ml of the stock and the tomato purée, and heat until simmering.
Add the roasted veg and purée smooth with a hand-held blender or processor.
Add the milk and the rest of the stock and heat through. Serve sprinkled with coriander.