Spring vegetable pasta with a creamy smoky bacon sauce
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 155g Butcher’s Selection Unsmoked Lean Diced Bacon
- 25g basil, leaves torn and stalks finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to serve
- 1 reduced-salt chicken stock cube, made up to 250ml
- 150ml single cream
- Juice and zest ½ lemon
- 500g pack Asda Italian Fresh Egg Tagliatelle
- 125g pack Extra Special Hand Picked Asparagus Tips, cut into 2cm lengths
- 150g frozen petits pois
- 30g Parmesan, grated
- 85g watercress
For the cream sauce, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium setting. Add the spring onions, garlic, bacon, ½ the torn basil leaves and all the basil stalks. Fry for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken stock to the pan and simmer on a low heat for 5 mins. Mix in the cream along with the lemon juice and zest. Cook for a further 2-3 mins until thickened. Season with ground black pepper. Set aside.
Add the tagliatelle, asparagus and petits pois to a large pan of boiling water, then simmer for 3-4 mins until the veg is just tender and the pasta is al dente. Drain well.
Return the pasta and veg to the pan. Add the cream sauce and remaining torn basil leaves. Stir together until the tagliatelle is evenly coated.
Divide the pasta between 4 bowls and season with black pepper. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, watercress and extra basil leaves to serve.