Steak & kidney pudding
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 450g pack Butcher's Selection Beef Stewing Steak
- 225g beef or lamb kidney, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 100ml ale
- 1 Knorr Beef Stock Pot, mixed with 100ml boiling water
- 375g self-raising flour
- 125g Atora The Original Shredded Beef Suet
- Pinch of mustard powder
Heat the oil in the pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes. Add the carrot and cook for another minute. Remove with a slotted spoon, then brown the steak and kidney in batches. Add the onion and carrot, plus the other ingredients, to the pan. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 2 hours. Allow to cool.
Mix the flour, suet, a pinch of salt and mustard (if using). Pour in 250ml water and mix to make a dough.
Knead briefly on a floured surface. Roll out three-quarters of the dough to 1cm thick. Use to line a well greased 1L pudding basin. Keep the remaining pastry for the lid.
Spoon in the filling. Roll out the remaining pastry tomake a lid. Brush the edges with water, lay the lid on top and pinch to seal. Cover with foil, allowing 1-2cm room for the pudding to expand. Tie string around the basin so it's easier to lift when hot.
Put in a pan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the basin.
Cover and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes, topping up the water as necessary. Turn out and serve.