Sticky toffee puddings
- 75g Chosen by you Pitted Dried Dates
- 1/4 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 115g caster sugar
- Few drops Extra Special Vanilla Bean Extract
- 1 large egg
- 75g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 level tsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 75g dark soft brown sugar
- 90ml evaporated milk
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease the inside of a 6-hole muffin tin and line the bases with rounds of baking paper to cover.
Cut the dates into raisin-sized pieces and put in a pan with 100ml cold water. Heat until boiling. Stir once, then bring to the boil again. Remove from the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda (it will foam up). Set aside for 30 minutes.
Beat 50g butter together with the caster sugar and the vanilla until the mixture is light and creamy. Add the egg and 1 heaped tsp flour. Beat again.
Add the rest of the flour and coffee and cooled dates. Mix well.
Divide the mixture between the muffin holes and level the tops. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
Put the remaining 25g butter in a pan and melt. Add the brown sugar and stir over a low heat for 2 minutes. Add the evaporated milk, simmer for 1 minute, then pour over the puddings.