The Hang Fire girls’ sure-fire slaw
- 1kg white cabbage, finely sliced
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 medium white onion, halved and finely sliced
- ½ red pepper and ½ yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3tbsp finely chopped coriander, plus sprigs to garnish
- 3tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- For the slaw cure
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1tsp fine sea salt
- 1tsp white sugar
- For the dressing
- 50g mayonnaise
- 3tbsp buttermilk or soured cream
- 3tbsp American mustard
- 1tsp soft light brown sugar
Put the cabbage, carrots and white onion in a bowl, add the ingredients for the slaw cure and mix well. Cover and chill for 2-3 hrs or overnight. Drain and discard any liquid.
In a bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and season with black pepper.
Add the peppers and spring onions to the ‘cured’ veg and mix well. Stir in the herbs and dressing. Chill for 1 hr; mix and serve garnished with coriander.