Sweet potato, corn & polenta burgers with red cabbage slaw
- 100g red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 bulb Extra Special Baby Fennel, finely sliced (reserve the feathery leaf fronds for garnish)
- 2tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 198g can Green Giant Original Sweetcorn, drained and patted dry
- 100g polenta or semolina
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1tbsp chopped parsley
- 1tsp fennel seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- Burger buns, lettuce and mayo, to serve
To make the slaw, put the red cabbage and sliced baby fennel in a bowl. Add the wine vinegar and toss together. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C Fan/Gas 6. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the sweet potato and cook for 5-6 mins until soft. Drain and pat dry. Put in a bowl and mash until smooth.
Add the sweetcorn, semolina, red pepper, onion, garlic, parsley, crushed fennel seeds, paprika and cumin, and mix together.
Using your hands, shape into four patties – the mixture will be quite soft. Put the burgers on a nonstick baking tray and cook in the oven for 20 mins until golden and firm.
Preheat the barbecue or grill to a medium heat. To finish the burgers, brush with the oil and grill for 4-5 mins on each side until they start to char. Briefly toast the cut sides of the burger buns for the last few minutes.
Serve the burgers in the buns, with a dollop of mayonnaise, lettuce leaves, the red cabbage and fennel slaw and a garnish of feathery fennel leaves.