Sweetcorn chowder with gammon
- 230g pack Asda Extra Special Unsmoked Wiltshire Cure Gammon Steaks
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil, plus 1 tsp for frying
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 300g potatoes (peeled weight), cut into 1cm pieces
- 300ml chicken stock, made with 1 stock cube
- 450ml whole milk
- 300g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 level tbsp cornflour, mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
- 1/2 35g pack flat-leaf parsley
- Crusty bread, to serve
Trim any excess fat off the gammon and discard. Cut into 0.5cm pieces. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large saucepan and fry the gammon until just cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Heat the rest of the oil in the pan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes until soft and golden, stirring often. Add the potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring.
Add the chicken stock to the pan, bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the milk, bring back to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for another 4-5 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Stir in the sweetcorn and gammon, bring back to the boil and simmer very gently for another 5 minutes. Season with black pepper.
Stir in the cornflour mixture and simmer for 2 minutes. Discard the stalks from the parsley and chop the leaves. Stir half into the soup. Serve with bread, sprinkled with the rest of the parsley.