Tex-Mex spicy shepherd’s pie
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced, plus extra to garnish
- 1tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 250g Butcher’s Selection Lamb Mince (typically less than 20% fat)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Grower’s Selection Sweetcorn Twin Pack
- 300g Mexican-style bean mix, drained and rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Thyme sprigs, to garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Put the sweet potato in a pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 mins until soft. Drain, return to the pan and mash until just smooth. Fold in the spring onions and season with black pepper.
Meanwhile, put the Cajun seasoning in a pan and warm over a medium heat for 2 mins until the spice releases its aroma.
Add the mince and break up with the back of a spoon. Fry for 8 mins until browned. Drain off any excess fat.
Add the onions, garlic and carrots to the pan. Stir to combine, cover and cook for 5 mins until the onions are soft.
Remove the kernels from the sweetcorn by cutting down the length of the cob. Add these to the pan with the remaining ingredients, and simmer for 10 mins.
Pour into an ovenproof dish and top with the mash. Bake for 10 mins until piping hot and crispy on top. Top with spring onions and thyme, and serve.