Thai-style chicken with coconut milk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 red or green chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1.5cm piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 450g chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 400g can light coconut milk
- 2 level tsp brown sugar
- 1 stem lemongrass, outer leaves removed and bruised
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 135g pack baby corn, halved
- 155g pack sugar snap peas
- 1 lime, cut into segments, and 2 tbsp chopped coriander, to garnish
- Boiled rice, to serve
Cook the onion in 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic, chillies and ginger and cook over a low heat, stirring, for another minute. Transfer to a saucepan.
Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and cook the chicken until it changes colour on all sides. Add to the saucepan with any juices from the pan. Add the coconut milk, sugar, lemongrass and fish sauce. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Stir in the baby corn and sugar snaps and simmer for another 5 minutes. Discard the lemongrass. Garnish with the lime and coriander and serve with boiled rice.