The Hairy Bikers’ seafood paella
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 600g Butcher’s Selection British Chicken Boneless Thigh Fillets, diced
- 150g Asda Spanish Chorizo Sausage, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300g large tomatoes, halved, deseeded, flesh grated then skin discarded
- 1tsp smoked sweet paprika
- Zest 1 lemon, plus extra lemon wedges to serve
- 1.5L hot chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 200g green beans, cut into short lengths
- 12 frozen Extra Special Jumbo King Prawns Raw and Whole, thawed and shelled (tails left on)
Heat the oil in a paella pan or large frying pan over a medium heat. Season the chicken with black pepper and fry for 5 mins, turning regularly, until golden. Add the chorizo and cook for 1 min. Add the garlic, then cook for 2-3 mins.
Push everything to one side of the pan. Add the tomatoes to the centre and fry for 3 mins more. Mix everything together and add the paprika and lemon zest. Pour in all but a large ladleful of the stock. Add the bay leaves, thyme and green beans and bring back to the boil.
Turn the heat down to a simmer and sprinkle in the rice, trying to get it into as even a layer as possible. Add the saffron and stir – this is the only time you should stir the paella after the rice has been added. Simmer for 5 mins.
Turn the heat down and simmer slowly for 12-15 mins until the rice is just tender. If the pan gets dry before the rice has cooked, add some of the reserved stock and cook for a few mins more.
Meanwhile, wash the mussels thoroughly, scraping off any barnacles and pulling out any ‘beards’. Discard any mussels with broken shells or any that do not close tightly when tapped sharply.
When the rice is cooked, arrange the mussels and prawns over the paella. Cover with a damp tea towel or lid and leave over a low heat until the mussels have opened and the prawns are cooked through. Serve topped with the lemon wedges and thyme sprigs.