Tomato and chickpea orzo salad
- 300g orzo
- 3tbsp reduced-fat green pesto
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400g tin chickpeas in water, drained
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- ½ x 25g pack basil, stalks finely chopped and leaves torn
- 175g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ head romaine lettuce, trimmed, washed and shredded
Cook the orzo according to the pack instructions. Drain, reserving 50ml of the cooking water. Return the orzo and cooking water to the pan and stir through the green pesto.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium setting, add the chickpeas, onion, red pepper and basil stalks. Cook for 5 mins then lightly crush the chickpeas.
Add the chickpea mixture, the tomatoes, lettuce and basil leaves to the orzo. Stir through gently and season with black pepper to serve.