Vegan baked pears with dried fruit and baklava-style topping
Be the first to rate this recipe
- 50g demerara sugar
- Zest ½ orange, cut into wide strips with a veg peeler, plus 1tsp finely grated orange zest for the topping
- 4 whole cloves
- 100ml golden rum (or 100ml water and an extra 20g demerara sugar)
- 4 Grower’s Selection Dessert Pears, peeled, halved and cores removed using a tablespoon
- 25g dried cranberries
- 40g dried mango, chopped into smaller pieces if large
- 30g dried pitted dates, chopped
- 30g walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- 30g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 20g ground almonds
- 4 scoops Asda Free From Vanilla Flavour Ice Cream
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Put 600ml water into a pan with the sugar, strips of orange zest, cloves and rum (or water and extra sugar, if using). Bring to a simmer and add the pears.
Reduce the heat to low and poach for 15 mins until just tender at the edges. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and put on the tray.
Take the pan off the heat and discard the cloves and zest strips. Add the cranberries, mango and dates and leave to soak for 5 mins.
Top the pears with the soaked dried fruit and a little of the poaching syrup.
Mix together the walnuts, pistachios, ground almonds and the grated zest. Sprinkle over the pears. Drizzle with a little more syrup and bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown.
Take the ice cream out of the freezer 10 mins before serving.
To serve, arrange 2 pear halves on each plate, along with a scoop of ice cream.