Vegan bean burgers with crispy baked courgette chips
- For the burgers
- 3tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 300g cooked beetroot, roughly chopped
- 400g tin kidney beans, drained
- 100g porridge oats
- 3tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1tbsp Asda Chipotle Paste
- 1tbsp garam masala
- 25g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- For the courgette chips
- 2 courgettes, cut into batons
- 1tbsp Asda Free From Mayo
- 50ml almond milk
- 1/4tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4tsp garlic powder
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs (made with vegan bread)
- 1tbsp finely chopped parsley
- For the burger sauce
- 3tbsp Asda Free From Mayo
- 1tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1tsp American-style mustard
- 1tsp dried dill
- To assemble
- 12 gherkin slices, but 1tbsp juice from the jar
- 180g Asda Free From Mature Cheddar Alternative, sliced
- 6 vegan burger buns of your choice, toasted
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 large vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 60g bag rocket
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Heat 1tbsp of rapeseed oil in a large nonstick frying over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 mins until soft but not browned. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly
Place the beetroot, kidney beans, porridge oats, peanut butter, chipotle paste, garam masala and coriander in a food processor along with the fried onions and garlic, then pulse together until well combined. Divide the mixture into 6 and shape into burgers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
Meanwhile, to make the courgette chips, pat the courgette batons dry with kitchen roll.
Mix 1tbsp of the Free From mayo with the almond milk and the dried spices in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and parsley.
Dip the chips in the mayo mixture, then roll in the crumb mixture.
Brush a baking tray with some of the oil, arrange the chips on it then cook for 15-20 mins until golden.
To make the burger sauce, mix together the remaining mayo, ketchup, mustard and dill. Set aside the gherkin slices and mix the juice into the sauce.
Wipe the frying pan clean with kitchen roll, then heat the remaining oil over a medium setting. Cook the burgers for 3-4 mins on each side until the outside crisps and they are heated through – you may have to do this in batches. 2 mins after you flip the burgers, put a slice of the Cheddar alternative on top of each and allow it to melt slightly.
To serve, spread the base of each burger bun with a generous amount of burger sauce, then top each with a burger, some red onion, tomato slices, 2 slices of gherkin and the rocket, then finish with the bun tops.
Serve immediately with the courgette chips on the side.