Vegan parsnip, fruit & nut cake
- 300g parsnips, trimmed and cut into large chunks
- 100ml apple juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, plus 1 tbsp for the icing
- 275g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 1 level tsp cinnamon
- 175g Pure Dairy FreeSunflower Spread
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g dried dates, cut into raisin-sized pieces
- 100g pecans, chopped, plus a few whole pecans for decoration
- 125g icing sugar
Put the parsnips in a pan with the apple juice. Cover, and cook until tender.
Drain well, reserving 1 tbsp of the juice. Leave the parsnips to cool, then mash with the reserved juice and 2 tbsp maple syrup.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line a deep 24cm round tin. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together, and set aside.
Beat the sunflower spread, caster sugar and vanilla extract together until light and creamy.
Stir in the cold parsnip purée, flour mixture, dates and chopped pecans.
Transfer to the tin and bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Mix the icing sugar with 1 tbsp maple syrup. Drizzle over the cake. Decorate with the whole pecans.